Monday, May 7, 2012

Nanner Bread

How banana's got their nickname "nanner" in my household, I'm not quite sure. What I am sure is that this delicious banana bread rocks. I got the recipe here at AllRecipes.com and have barely changed a thing (usually I tweak recipes as I go, but this one I do the same every time).  The original recipe was designed for 32 servings divided in 4 loaf pans. For me and Howie that would be way too much, so I scaled it down to call for 2 bananas and took it from there. The nice thing about AllRecipes.com is that they will do the calculations for you! Just type in how many servings you want and it adjusts the measurements. For this recipe, 2 bananas = 10 servings... but of course being Americans I think we end up getting 8 good sized slices out of it. One slice is my breakfast.

Don't be shocked by the bananas... they were in the
fridge for a day which always darkens them
Nanner Bread
Courtesy of AllRecipes.com
Ingredients:
1 tbls sugar + 1/4 tsp cinnamon to coat the pan
4 tbls butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
2 over ripe bananas
4 oz sour cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/3 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
Sprinkle of salt
Nuts or chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F, and grease a 9 x 5 in loaf pan (the original recipe uses 7x3 but the bake time is about the same either way). Dust the greased pan with the sugar and cinnamon indicated above. I use butter to grease my pan.
In a small bowl combine the butter (soft) and granulated sugar. Add the egg, bananas (mashed), sour cream,  vanilla, and cinnamon and combine. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt and mix. Depending on your tastes add nuts and/or chocolate chips in at the end. I make it more complicated for myself because I prefer chocolate chips only and Howie prefers pecans only; so I put the batter in the pan and then work nuts into one half and chocolate chips into the other half.
 Pop that sucker in the over for 55 minutes, check with a toothpick (should come out clean) and if need be keep it in there another 5 minutes for a total 1 hour bake time. If it's done at 55 minutes that's okay! Mine usually is.
 Once its out of the oven, let it sit for ten minutes, then flip it over onto a paper towel and it should fall right out of the pan. I then flip it onto a second paper towel so it is facing upright. Slice and enjoy the yummy-ness!

No comments:

Post a Comment