Monday, April 16, 2012

The Lowdown on the new NovaNation


Welcome back! And welcome to the new Villanova University sign on the corner of Ithan and Lancaster. If you are facebook friends with the University (or if you "like" the University?) you probably saw posts about this a while ago, but I couldn't help but take a picture of it myself as I walked on to campus for the first time in 2.5 years. The picture does not do it justice at all - the thing is huge! It actually makes it challenging for students who trudge up from south campus to walk around it, it's that big. Of course, this wasn't the only change. Here's a few comments I have about what we saw on our mini-tour of main campus this weekend.

I will admit, I was very nervous to get back on campus knowing changes were afoot. I wasn't sure what to expect and I wasn't sure that it would still be "my" Villanova. Fortunately, I was pleasantly surprised!   The only change I did not love (or really like for that matter) was the pop-out colored pavers they decided to place in front of Connelly and Dougherty halls. They may look harmless in this picture, but with the back drop of the beautiful light gray stone of the Villanova-defining buildings, it is much too harsh of a contrast. My hope is that the will fade a bit overtime, I guess we'll see.

~  side note: I like to think I was being artsy taking this photo of Howie's feet and shadow ~


 Despite the stone pavers, the patio area in front of Connelly was wonderfully done. There were two levels of brand new outdoor tables and chairs nestled close to the building and out of the way of passersby. I would also add, had I had enough time, that this would probably be an ideal people watching location while chowing down on some great Bell Air Terrace food.  Sadly, I do not have a picture to share. There were some Nova girls sitting outside eating/reading and I felt odd taking a picture of the patio while they were there... I'm not that much of a tourist/creeper. Upon departing Connelly from the first floor, we were greeted with an excellently placed staircase and new walkway to sneak over to Sullivan. It was very well done and quite unexpected.

We meandered out way towards the church and stumbled upon out class' gift to the school as well: this quaint and well-placed clock! This was the point at which Howard rolled his eyes at my touristy behavior. I say, never be ashamed of being a tourist (to a point... read: I did in fact refrain from taking a picture of the Connelly patio, I do have some self control). Memories only last for so long in tact - we live in a great age of technology, take a picture, it will last longer than your memory.


In closing, I'm sure you are all wondering where the Oreo is if you read the hub-bub on your newsfeed each time its been moved over the past couple of years. I'm standing in its expected location while taking the picture as if I was walking towards the grotto. Here it is:


I wish I had a thoughtful comment, but when I look at this picture I feel sad it is all wrapped up and closed off.... Right now, I'll just be hopeful that next time I return it will be back in its rightful place where I can sit on it and be properly nostalgic.


No comments:

Post a Comment