Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Apple Crisp!

Just as it wouldn't be fall without apple picking (even if it's in the rain), it wouldn't be fall without delicious fall treats. Everyone goes nuts for Starbucks Pumpkin Latte's, the Pumpkin and Oktoberfest beers start popping into the seasonal spots at the tap, and pies are back in style. But what about our apples we so lovingly pluck from their trees each year? Since I personally am not a pie aficionado, I went for the apple crisp recipes this season.

Apparently there are two ways to make apple crisp: with or without oats. I did not know this was such an issue, but as I was discussing it over the phone with my mother while Howie was in the room, I came to realize this must be some kind of a big deal. My mother was trying to tell me to just use bisquick, meanwhile the online recipe I found called for oats. Howie took no time jumping in: "You northerners and Bisquick, that's not how you make apple crisp! You need oats!" Needless to say I had no response for either of them other than, "I already bought the oats, so that's how I'll do it this time." And it came out great!

Apple Crisp
Courtesy of Betty Crocker, with my own twist
Ingredients:
4 Apples peeled and sliced (choose to use apples on the tart side)
1/3 cup Butter (or margarine)
1/2 cup Old fashioned Oats
1/2 cup All purpose Flour
3/4 cup Brown Sugar
3/4 tsp Cinnamon
3/4 tsp Nutmeg
Generous handful of chopped Pecans (eye ball it how you like, use whatever nut you like, or don't use any nuts at all if you like!)

1. Preheat the over to 375 degrees (I preheated mine to 350 because I know my oven bakes quickly) and grease an 8x8 pan. Now, I never remember to buy shortening or Crisco for greasing pans, so whenever I bake I do it the old fashioned way with butter... call me crazy, but that's what I usually have in the house and I don't bake often enough to change my ways.


2. Spread your peeled and sliced apples evenly in the pan.


3. Combine all other ingredients well and then spread over the top of the apples. Bake for 30 minutes or until  top is golden brown and apples are fork-tender.


4. Enjoy this deliciousness!!

 


Why I chose to add pecans: Howie is in love with them. End of story. However, these nuts are on the sweeter side. Being a sweet nut, it goes perfectly with the apple crisp. If I had to choose a second recommendation I'd say go with walnuts if you prefer those. Walnuts are also commonly used in snacks and desserts, so have at it :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment